Steve Schainker, City Manager
City Manager - Steve Schainker
The City Manager appoints all department heads and is responsible to the Council for proper administration of all city business, and for the annual budget.
Steve Schainker joined the City of Ames more than 30 years ago, and has been serving as City Manager since 1981. The City Manager carries out the day-to-day responsibilities of running the city organization and oversees 18 departments and divisions including Public Works, Water and Pollution Control, Parks and Recreation, Finance, Ames Electric Services, Ames Police, Ames Fire, and Planning and Housing. Mr. Schainker reports directly to the Ames City Council, which is the policy-making arm of government.
The City Council makes laws, ordinances, and policy, and it is the responsibility of the City Manager to ensure they are carried out or enforced.
If you have questions or wish to contact the City Manager, please call: 515-239-5101.
Resident Satisfaction Surveys:
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2016 (132 pages with comments) (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2015 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey 2014 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Survey Report 2013 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2012 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2011 (PDF)
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2010 [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2009 [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Report 2009 Comments only [PDF]
- Resident Satisfaction Survey Report 2008 with comments [PDF]
For Links to City Budget and Financial Documents, Visit the City of Ames Finance Web
- Assistant City Manager - Bob Kindred: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant City Manager - Brian Phillips: email@example.com
- Business Development Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org
City Clerk Staff:
- City Clerk - Diane Voss: email@example.com
- Deputy City Clerk - Jill Ripperger: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deputy City Clerk - Heidi Petersen email@example.com
- Principal Clerk - Cathy Gersema: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Relations/TV Staff: