The Community Codes Liaison works with citizens to explain City Codes and works to resolve concerns by coordinating enforcement with other City Departments.
The following list highlights some of our most commonly asked questions regarding City Codes:
- Yard waste may not remain on a property for a period longer than seven days, not including that which is used for composting. Yard Waste includes grass clippings, leaves, garden waste and brush.
- Garbage and refuse placed outdoors for collection must be placed in a hard, water-tight receptacle that animals cannot get into. Setting garbage out in plastic bags is prohibited.
- Noxious weeds are not permitted on any property. A complete list of noxious weeds can be found on the Iowa State University website by selecting the following link:
- Outdoor storage is prohibited in most areas of the City for any period longer than 3 days. This includes any items that are not intended for use outdoors.
- Furniture/appliances are prohibited from being outdoors for any period of time. A porch that is completely enclosed with walls, glass, or screens is not considered to be outdoors and may be used for storage.
- Off-street parking is only allowed on approved, paved surfaces. Parking is not allowed on surfaces such as grass or dirt.
- Signs are only allowed to be placed on private property and many of them require a Sign Permit. The property located between the street and the property line is public right-of-way and does not allow any type of signage.
The following are common concerns that are only prohibited on rental properties:
- Garbage receptacles may only be kept at the curb for 24 hours or less.
- Grass on a rental property cannot exceed 12 inches in height.