PV System Procedures – Electrical Permit
- Submit cut sheets for plan review showing what equipment will be installed and provide documentation that the equipment is UL listed and labeled. Provide a site plan showing module, inverter, and junction box layout as well as quantities of each. Provide a licensed engineer's stamped one line diagram, grounding detail, and system outputs.
- Submit electrical permit application for approval (contractor must be registered with the State of Iowa Division of Labor and registered and licensed by the State of Iowa Electrical Licensing Board).
- Schedule a final inspection at least 24 hours in advance by calling 515-239-5153
PV Systems Procedure - Building Permit
- Submit plans for the PV panels and the mounting/racking system.
- Provide documentation the system can withstand a 90 MPH wind.
- Provide a licensed engineer’s report (if the array is roof mounted) that the roof can support the additional weight of the system.
- Submit a building permit application for approval (contractor must be registered with the State of Iowa Division of Labor and with the City of Ames Inspection Division).
- Schedule a final inspection at least 24 hours in advance by calling 515-239-5153.
PV Systems - International Fire Code
1. Solar panel installations must comply with the current, adopted fire code of the City of Ames.
2. A drawing that shows dimensions of pathways, access, and smoke ventilation areas shall be provided.
The following is the link for the information and the application for the Solar Energy System Zoning Permit (SESZP).