Please Read Start Service Instructions Before Proceeding
Use this form, start service, if you will be a new customer of the Ames Municipal Utilities or if you are a current customer wanting to establish an additional service in your name.
Use the transfer service form if you currently have an account in your name with the Ames Municipal Utilities and want to stop service at your present address and start service at another address served by us.
Please submit your start service request to the Ames Municipal Utilities at least one working day prior to the date you want your service started in your name. A $25 same day service charge may be billed to your account if your start service request is not received at least one working day prior to the date you want service started in your name. Working days are Monday through Friday, except holidays. Start service requests received after 4:30 p.m. will be considered as being received on the next working day.
A security deposit equal to the highest bill for one month during the previous twelve months is required to establish service. This requirement will be waived if:
- You obtain and provide us with an acceptable credit reference from another utility either water, gas or electric; you may mail your credit reference to us at Ames Municipal Utilities P.O. Box 811 Ames, IA 50010-0811 or you may fax it to: 515 239-5286 or
- Within the past 24 months, you have had service in your name for at least 9 consecutive months and have an acceptable credit history with us.
An acceptable credit reference will show that you had utility service in your name for at least nine consecutive months during the past twenty-four months. It will also show that you paid your bills on time each month while the service was in your name. The credit reference must be received within two weeks of submitting your application in order for the deposit to be waived.
To complete the start service form, you will need the following information:
- Your date of birth and your social security number. If married, you will need the same information for your spouse. If you do not have a social security number or do not wish to provide your social security number, then you will need to come to the Utility Customer Service office at 515 Clark Avenue and complete an application for service and present a photo identification.
- The date you want service to begin. We may change your requested date by up to two(2) work days to coincide with an existing request.
- Your service address, including apartment, lot, or unit number.
- If you will be renting, your landlord’s name.
- The name, address, and telephone number of someone we can contact in case of an emergency.
By submitting an application to start utility service, you are agreeing to pay for all utility bills rendered for service provided while the account is in your name. The account will remain in your name until we receive notice to stop your service.
You will receive an automatic email notification after we have processed your start service request if you enter your email address on the request form.
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology will be used to protect the information you provide to us on the start service form. If you would prefer to mail or fax your application to us rather than submitting it electronically, you can download a PDF version of the start service form here.
To do this, you will need to have a version of the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software.
Back to the top of the page
This page was last updated on 04/09/2015 .